A cold and wet Spring day didn’t discourage church-goers from filling Holy Cross Hungarian Catholic Church for the Detroit Mass Mob 2018 Opener!
Holy Cross Hungarian Parish was established in 1905. During the early years, a church, school, and rectory were built. In 1924 Henry Kohner was hired to design the present church building. Pictures of Hungarian, European, and American churches were submitted to the architect, and to save money, Kohner supervised the construction himself. The cornerstone was laid November 26, 1924.
The main altar, pulpit, baptismal font and many statues were fashioned by the pontifical Institute of Arts in Chicago.
The stained Glass windows were installed in 1936. The Schroeder Glass Company, and the Von Gerichten Studios of Columbus, Ohio were responsible.
In 1948, Hungarian artist Paul Daubner painted the murals including the fresco of the Redeemer in the domed ceiling.
The parish is now under the care of Hungarian Franciscan Friars and Barnabas G. Kiss.
All photos by Diane Dawson Wilks